Requirements: Android 2.2+
Overview: A high battery drain is often a limiting factor for a great user experience.
#103: changed default pref for stat/type to other/since unplugged
#104: added alarm details to dump
#105: processed and services are not part of dump anymore (default)
#108: added preferences to add/remove chapters from dump
#109: added more details to the "general" chapter in dump
#110: added ability to be moved to SD
#111: added "wifi running" stat to "other"
#112: last alarm from dump was not parsed (formerly known as >999 bug, in the end it was a coincidence)
#100: fixed "since chanrged" reference to be stored continuously (removed service completely)
#101: removed property to hide "since..." from main screen as this makes screenshots unreadable
#102: changing stat/stat type now refreshes again
#87: added debugging code, fixes FC in MIUI
#88: graphs not working on all ICS ROMs
#89: alarms sometime hangs due to superuser dialog in the background
#62: Dmpfile is now named with timestamp to avoid overwriting
#63: if writing a dumofile fails because of unmounted SD and error is displayed
#64: alarms with upper case names / numbers in the package name were being truncated
#65: the retrieval of the online knowledge base was blocking the refresh of the screen under bad network conditions
#66: alarms were added to dump (if phone rooted)
#67: "Actions" menu was renamed to "More"
#70: references "since unplugged" and "since charged" were added to kernel wakelocks. Please note that the corresponding events (unplug, charge to 100% must occur once for the data to be available)
#34: the whole persistence of sample data (custom reference, since.... for kernel wakelocks) was refactored and persistence of samples is now on private storage (files). There is no ned for preventing the user from leaving BBS with "back" as the data is not in memory
#71: graphs now work in ICS
#72: FC on start when the battery service could not be initalized (typical for MIUI as the service is off be default).
#73: added google analytics for a better tracking of how BBS is used. A warning notifies of that change and offers to opt-out if Google Analytics are not wanted
#74: added "raw" kernel wakelocks to the "more" menu
With BetterBatteryStats you can analyse the behavior of your phone, find applications causing the phone to drain battery while it is supposed to be asleep and measure the effect of corrective actions:
- Spot drainers based on detailed information about the root cause
- measure the effect of actions to reduce drain
- detect changes in the awake/sleep profile and quickly find the causes (rogue apps)
In other words BetterBatteryStats helps you to get the best out of your Android smartphone.
Please don't use the market's feedback system for support. In case of issues or for any question or suggestion please contact me by e-mail or use the contact information from the about box.
- android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE is used only for writing dumps to the SD. In case you don't need that feature please fell free to remoke that permission. It won't have any side effect besides disabling that feature
- android.permission.BATTERY_STATS is obviously the permission to access the internal statitics and can not be revokes without making the app unusable
BetterBatteryStats is open source so you can inspect/review/ contribute and submit issues or feature requests. Please check the about dialog for further details.
Important note: due to Android's signing architecture it is not possible to offer a free and a paid app in the same namespace. If you want to support me and buy the app you will need to deinstall the current version (up to 0.8.2 included) prior to buying the app from the market. You can reinstall the xda edition from the link below. That app is absolutely identical with the one from market but lives in its own namespace and allows updates of both version independentely from each other (own settings as well).
- 1.4.2: fixed #59, mixed wakes in kernel wakelocks
- 1.4.1: fixes #57, FC on alarms for non-rooted phones
- 1.4.0: #55 Kernel Wakelocks are not from /proc/wakelocks, #39 added alarms, #56 fixed wifi scan/locked times
- 1.3.4: a first attempt to bring native kernel wakelocks from /proc/wakelocks
- 1.3.3: #51 Kernel wakelocks sometime show no time/count, #52 BT / Wifi series mixed-up on graph, #54 Wifi locked / scan increase when wifi is off
- 1.3: #45 Added kernel wakelock stats, #49 Added dump to file for history, Added more graphs, #46 Added zoom / navigation on data series, #48 fixed FC on froyo
- 1.2.1: #47 Wifi graph did not show
- 1.2.0: #38 own implementation of battery history and data serie (missing on froyo and honeycomb), #43 FC entering prefs on honeycomb
- 1.1.1: #40 FC when clicking on a list element
- 1.1.0: #6 Added online knowledge base: the online knowledge base describes kown wakelocks, their causes and suggests solutions to remedy to wakelocks. If a wakelock is found in the knowledge base an icon is displayed beside it and clicking on the wakelock open the corresponding KB article, #28 stat types are now consistent with Froyo and Gingerbread, #30 Sorting can be changed between "time" and "count" for wakelocks and processes. A preference was added to persist the sorting order, #32 Custom ref does not preserve sorting was fixed together with #30, #35 Wording of preferences was fixed to make it more self speaking
- 1.0.0: #25 Added in-app and online help and how to (see menu "Help"), #29 Added groupings to unclutter the menu, #18 Added Release notes to be displayed once for each new version, #27 Fixed the app manifest for Android market to show it for other screen sizes/densities too
- 0.9.0: Fix for #26 ("menu" showing dialog), #24 (refresh after changing prefs), added #23 (dump of service info)
- 0.8.4: Fix for #21: Advanced prefs let you set the height of the bars, an attempt for a more elegant fix to #22 by asking when "back" is used to leave the app and there are custom refs that would be lost
- 0.8.3: Fixes for #20, preferences of default stat type were not applied correctly on start, #21 a better attempt to fix graph bar height for devices with higher densities, #22 custom ref is not saved when leaving the app with the "back" button
- 0.8.2: Fix for EVO 3D / Desire HD: on those devices graph bars get calculated with a hight of 0. Under these circumstances draw with a minimum height of 4px
- v0.8.1: Clean-up after app validation, added loggin to GraphableButton to analyse display problem of canvas on EVO 3D / Desire HD
- v0.8.0: New graphics/icons courtesy to nobnut, #15 the 100% of wakelocks can now be selected between total time, awake time, (awake time - screen on)
- v0.7.0: #3 titles of stat types are now speaking, #4 graph bar added to stats, #14 Added menu option to open GB battery history, Added stat type (speaking) to dump, Better haptic: long running operations are threaded
- v0.6.1: Fixed "Since" not being displayed in "Custom Ref" (#13), Wakelock count not being shown (#12), Error message regarding state not being saved (#11)
- v0.6.0: Added menu option "refresh", added possibility for user to set his own "custom" reference (#10), added option to dump stats to a file (#9), added total time since the stat is running to the main screen controlled by preferences (#7), implemented percentages in wakelocks (#4 partially)
- v0.5.1: Improved performance (process and wakelocks were slow on single cpu devices), better name resolution for processes / wakelocks adds more insight to the origin (e.g. previously stated process *wakelock* now tells from what apk ist was held)
- v0.5.0: Added "Other Usage" stats
- v0.4.0: Added preferences for default selection, removed Network Usage due to non resolved issue #1